Yaesu FT-847 digital problem

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Yaesu FT-847 digital problem

Post by VK4NWH »

Hi. I have a Yaesu FT847 i want to use with WSJT. I have the settings in the software ok as it recieves and switches the radio into tx and i can see in windows vista that there is audio at the speaker jack on the pc. But the problem is no audio seems to be getting transmitted. Am i missing a setting in the radio? I am using a data cable from ebay UD04YA. I used the type of connection on an icom i used recently without any problems. The data cable is plugged into the data socket on the rear of the rig and the radio Pkt Rate is set at 9600 but i did try 1200 with no luck. Any ideas what to try next? I have also tried changing speaker settings in windows but no luck. Any ideas will be great. Hope its not something looking at me. Cheers. Wayne VK4NWH.
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Re: Yaesu ft847 digital problem

Post by VK2MUS »

can you set the mode to dig rather then ssb - on the 897 the mode must be dig to use the data connection - the dig mode on the radio must be set to usb via the menu settings
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

The 1200/9600 setting only affects FM operation.

Check that the audio level from the PC into the radio is not too high. The radio mutes the Tx if there's too much audio.

Regards.
Dave
VK3HZ
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

I cant find any setting like that John VK2MUS. Do you know if there is a setting to do that?
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Tried volume on the pc from zero and slowly adjusted to full and nothing. Definately have sound out of the pc i plugged a speaker into the same socket and had sound so something im missing maybe }:[
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Hi Wayne, from what i just read about the UD04YA cable it uses the 6pin mini din plug. Am I right?

Are you plugging into the PKT 6pin socket on the back of the 847 or the data socket for HF which in the manual I have is a 3.5mm stereo socket. You say data socket but I think you mean PKT socket perhaps

When I used my FT847 on Digital modes I actually used the mic input using a rigblaster so I am only guessing about the rear panel connection. The FT847 does work well on data modes and without fiddling with menu's.

Stick the 847 on FM 2m and try wsjt while monitoring on another rig/handheld or have a local listen if you have not got another rig and see if you hear anything. I don't know if that would work or not as different pins for different baud rate so depends how the cable is wired

My suspicion is the cable you have is not what is needed, but I am only guessing.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Yes it is connected with the 6 pin plug into the pkt socket. Frustrating. I been through the menus and tried all i can think of and even send the cable back to uk for replacement thinking thats where the problem was but the new cable is the same. Be unlikely to get 2 faulty cables.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Are you after HF WSJT, then you do not use the 6 pin din socket. HF AFSK is via the 3.5mm stereo connection.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Will be for 2 and 70 meteor scatter / ae.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK4NWH wrote:Will be for 2 and 70 meteor scatter / ae.
Well that's different then. If the cable is good and you can assume that, looks like more hair pulling sessions or use the mic input with an adapter cable. You know the mic works but perhaps the back panel socket and cables/circuitry are faulty.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

I might buy a 6 pin socket from jaycar and use the mic for starters and if all is well maybe find a way to test the 6 oin socket on the radio.
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

For SSB, you need to use the 3.5mm Data socket on the back panel. The 6-pin plug is FM only.

The 847 is not like the 817/857/897. There's no separate "Digital" mode setting. Just leave it on USB and it will automatically switch over when the PTT is activated through the Data socket.

Note that you need to DC-isolate the Tx input to the rig. PTT is then activated by putting about 2K to ground on the Tx input. A bit weird, but it works. I'll see if I can find a link to a circuit.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Here's a circuit: http://www.qsl.net/g3sky/images2/scan.jpg

Note at upper right, there's a 2.2uF cap isolating the Tx audio input to the rig. When PTT is activated, there's a 2.2K resistor switched from the Tx audio input to ground by the transistor, which sets the radio to Tx mode, enables the Tx audio input and disables the microphone.
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Hi Dave. After trying a few things i found that the setup with the 6 pin plug will do oacket rtty etc on any band so as you mentioned about the stereo plug for HF wsjt its also the same on all bands including vhf and uhf. The sereo plug is used for any mode using ssb or cw mode and the 6 pin plug is for am and fm modes only. So i guess ill have to look at another type of modem for modes using ssb like wsjt. You think MFJ1278 will do the job? Cheers.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK4NWH wrote:i guess ill have to look at another type of modem for modes using ssb like wsjt. You think MFJ1278 will do the job? Cheers.
Depends on your budget but the rigblasters work well, I use one with the mic plug.

The rigblaster plugs into the mic socket of the FT847 and the microphone plugs into the rigblaster plus the audio in and out and PTT from the PC. So when digital is used the mic is isolated so no induced noise from the mic onto the digital and when the mic is operated the data signal is isolated. So no swapping plugs required. The Tigertronics Signallink USB also works via the 3.5mm socket on the rear. So there's 2 options.

Probably if it is a sound card interface from anyone, it will work plugging into the right place on the 847. Even home brew. You have the UD04YA cable, just make an adapter from 6pin to the 3.5mm plug and use what you have. By far the cheapest way.

Not sure about the MFJ 1278. As a data controller I am not sure if it just takes audio from the PC or takes a RS232/USB signal and converts that to the various modes like my PK232 did. The MFJ 1279 would probably work as it is a sound car interface
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Ok thanks. Ill look at both you mentioned and go with one of those. Appreciate all you help. Let you know how i go. Thanks.
9H5DX
Forum Novice

Re: Yaesu FT-847 digital problem

Post by 9H5DX »

Hi, Greetings from Malta
Having the same problem here after purchasing the UD04YA for my FT-847. VK4NWH have you managed to get this problem solved on HF SSB ?
Thanks in advance
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Re: Yaesu FT-847 digital problem

Post by VK4NWH »

Yes. What it is the UDO4YA will do digital on FM and AM modes. Ssb is done via the data socket using a stereo plug. Its simple to make using the mic and speaker outputs from your pc. On the speaker line i put a 1k ohm resistor because a direct connection is too much audio therefor the radio will not tx audio due to a protection circuit. Need any help keep intouch. Cheers.