Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4TS wrote:Think of the court case ...
Sounds like another Hitler video needs to be made! :wink: :lol:

:mrgreen:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: Yaesu FT-101E

Post by VK4TS »

Adam, you will note I am already working on the subtitles :D
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3XRI

Post by VK3XRI »

So what your saying is if I program up a prm80 and pass it over to a f call they are operating outside the act ?????

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

no...........................

That is fine - in fact they can programme it themselves..
Trent VK4TS
VK3XRI

Post by VK3XRI »

Ahhh can they it depends on how you read the act and what sort of day the ri is having ... I have heard one being busted for this in the early days .. truth I doubt it .. but the point still remains it all depends on your interpretation of the act ..

VK5HP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5HP »

The way I read it a F call can repair/ modify a commercially made radio as long as the radio is been operated within there
10 watts etc.
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK3XRI wrote:Ok an f call can have any radio .. including modified commercial radio providing its operated with in the f call provision and the modifications are carried out by a standard or full call operator

interesting - look at this example Foundation operator is operating a Genesis Radio G11 SDR purchased by him/her in its kit form and constructed by say his friend who is a standard operator. It is a commercially manufactured radio ( they only supply in kit form) but it is built by a ham op - would this comply with -The licensee must not operate an amateur foundation station using a transmitter that has not been manufactured commercially

john
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

it is not manufactured commercially....no wonder lawyers will always have jobs...

Why do we need a standard or full call to do the work ? is this in some syllabus somewhere ? it seems to be a common urban myth....or is there a different Amateur LCD used in other states ? :?
Trent VK4TS
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK4TS wrote:it is not manufactured commercially....no wonder lawyers will always have jobs...

Define "manufactured commercially". The opposing position would be that the SDR radio was manufactured commercially and that it was then brought together so it could be operated by the user. Think flatpacking and Ikea...

That's why there are twice as many lawyers than needed.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: Yaesu FT-101E for Foundation Call

Post by VK5ZD »

Crazy thought of the day....

Here's one easy solution.
(1) Get an ABN.
(2) Register a business name (e.g. VK0FXXX Amateur Transceiver Design & Manufacturing).

Now you can make or modify to your hearts content and it's still "manufactured commercially".
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK5ZD wrote:Crazy thought of the day....
Some nice lateral thinking, but having an ABN does not necessarily mean you are running a legitimate business.
http://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Starting ... business-/
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

A full call building an SDR kit?

That's like saying a pile of bricks is a house. It's a kit not a radio - it doesn't fit the criteria.

I imagine the intent of the legislation was to ensure F calls only operated equipment that was built to a certain standard. Whilst you'd hope that a full call could build and test and adjust a transmitter correctly the sad reality is that a amateur license is no real measure of competency. Some F calls are qualified way beyond their license conditions and some full calls shouldn't be allowed near a toaster let alone a radio.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3ALB wrote:Some F calls are qualified way beyond their license conditions and some full calls shouldn't be allowed near a toaster let alone a radio.
I'll second that...

Getting back to my "Crazy thought of the day...", as far as I'm aware anyone could start a transceiver manufacturing business, no qualifications required. Yet an F call, who has demonstrated some competence by passing an exam, is not allowed to make or modify a transmitter. Therefore, if an F call owned a legitimate amateur transceiver manufacturing business, could they use their own product? :?

I realize that anyone capable of doing this could likely get an advanced licence but just assume, for whatever reason, they didn't.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

The foundation regs were definitely rushed through - it is the same as the spec only allowing hand keyed CW...does that mean a straight key or is a bug / paddle OK ? If a paddle is OK can you then use the internal memories in the radio ? or are they not approved for F calls ... :D
Trent VK4TS
VK7DR

Post by VK7DR »

VK4TS wrote: it is the same as the spec only allowing hand keyed CW...
oh... is there some other kind?
surely there aren't CW operators out there who are only pretending to be CW operators? :wink: