IC-9100. New firmware on icom Japan website.

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

IC-9100. New firmware on icom Japan website.

Post by VK3BQ »

The below was Posted on 9100 yahoo group.

Hi,

a new firmware (Release E1) with instructions to upgrade it is available
for IC9100 at Icom Japan website here
<http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/> [:)] .

1. Fixed a problem that the sub-band IF filter may be switched to
unexpected one when changing the operating mode.
2. Fixed a problem with the TX and RX switching in the DV mode.

Finally, upgrading the firmware of the IC9100 is possible. [;)]

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xqow3d
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Re: IC-7410 & IC-9100. New firmware INFO

Post by VK3BQ »

an update (not on the firmware - but on checking installed versions)

CHECKING THE VERSION NUMBER OF THE FIRMWARE INSTALLED ON THE
IC-9100 and IC-7410

1) Turn off the transceiver
2) Press and hold F4 and F5 while turning on the IC-9100. DO NOT
RELEASE F4 AND F5 UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE VESION RESULTS.
3) Results will appear at the bottom of the display

The latest versions should read
NOTES:
1) F_# = Front (currently no updates)
2) M_# = Main (currently no updates)
3) DM_# = DSP Main (Current version should read 3.03)
4) DS_# = DSP Sub (Current version should read3.04)
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Re: IC-9100. New firmware on icom Japan website.

Post by VK3BA »

Thanks Andrew, a friend of mine has recently aquired a new 9100 with the TX/RX bug on DV and we've been trying to figure it out. Hopefully this'll fix it.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK3UBO

Post by VK3UBO »

Hi All

I'm the one that vk3ba is referring to in regards to the update off firmware for ic-9100. I have done the update, but it tells me that the update is not needed, hence I still have the issue with the TX & RX in dv mode, It seems to only happen on the fisrt time I try to connect to a repeater. Has anyone got more ideas what could be causing this to happen.

cheers
Tony vk3ubo
IRLP node 6287
EchoIRLP No 290511
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

who installed the dv module, lots of reports of NOT properly seated dv modules causing grief. try and remove/reseat it again.. what FW version is your bx using the check method?
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I was thinking along the same lines.

Incorrect seating of the module causes the 9100 to lock in transmit in DV mode. Switching off the radio is the only solution. I had my 9100 apart 3 times before I got the module seated reliably i.e. working under all conditions hot/cold.

So is this another TX/RX problem?
Damien VK3RX
VK3UBO

Post by VK3UBO »

Hi all

I have just reinstalled the UT-121 unit and that has seem to fix the RX/TX issues in dv mode for the time being. I did do the installation of the unit.The Firmeware in the radio is F 301-00, M 3.42-E00, DM 3.03 (00), DS 3.04 (00).

Thank you all for your help. I will advise you if the TX/RX issue returns and ask for more advice.

Cheers
Tony Vk3ubo
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I hope your reseating of the UT-121 holds. Just when I thought mine had settled down it would play up.

Some say reseating it a few times cleans the contacts. In my case I'm not sure that the double sided tape was allowing the board to sit exactly parallel to the main board, even though I'd positioned the tape where it was supposed to be. I respoistioned the tape a couple of times, but same problem. Also I wondered if after pressing to stick the board, the tape was later expanding back just enough to mess up the contacts.

I finally removed the tape, seated the board, then put a couple of strips of tape at 90 degrees to each other over the cnnnector end of the board. The tape I used was the clear reinforced stuff i.e. about 15mm wide, clear with nylon threads through it.

That was five months ago, and touch wood, I haven't had a problem since.
Damien VK3RX
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

Having read of the issues, i plugged in and out a couple of times when i installed it the first time, and its been good since (radio must be near on 12 months old now).

Touch wood :)

Really don't use star much though, would be keen to try some HF/6m dstar stuff. if anyone else is interested.
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
VK3UBO

Post by VK3UBO »

Andrew I would also be keen to try dstar on hf to, as I haven't got an antenna for 6m up yet.If you like email me at vk3ubo@wia or call Echoirlp node No 6287 (vk3rbn) after 6.000pm if you are interested. Oh! DV mode has been working fine so far HiHi fingers crossed
KT6UK

Post by KT6UK »

I have the same problem - stuck on DV transmit.

Tried re-seating the module 5 or 6 times now - pretty sure it's clicked in place ok.

Tried the Firmware update - said it was not needed.
Rig reports the following firmware:

f 3.01-000
M 3.42-E00
DM 3.03 (00)
DS 3.04 (00)

Strange that it reports it's not needed as I've only upgraded the firmware once and that was last Summer.

Tried a master reset just for good measure - still no joy.

Running out of ideas here.

Any suggestions ?

BTW Bought the rig in the USA while I was working out there and now back in the UK - so might have warranty issues :-(

73 Tim KT6UK / G4WIM
KT6UK

Post by KT6UK »

Just fixed it !

Removed the module, did a master reset.
Power off, then on. Pressed the DV button - didn't work obviously.
Powered off.
Re-installed module, without sticky pad as before - had already removed the sticky pad in case it was causing problems..
Made a nice click when module was pressed in place. Hadn't noticed the click before.
Powered up and hey presto - no more stuck on tx.

Not sure what fixed it - but ok so far !

73 Tim KT6UK G4WIM
KT6UK

Post by KT6UK »

Well maybe not.

Seems intermittent - works for a while then sticks on TX again.

Clearly something not quite right - most likely the module isn't quite seated correctly.

Looks like it's time to strip the rig down again and try for about the 6th time.

Can't believe I'm having this much hassle with such a simple connector problem....
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

After all my efforts in the post above, I've had no trouble since. Initially when I thought I'd fixed it, it would play up when the sent warmed up, and again on a particularly hot day. I think I had the covers off about 4 times. I'm still convinced that the double sided tape wasn't helping matters, possible reseating the board as it expanded back to shape after pressing down.

After I removed that tape I had a real close look at the board seating with a magnifying glass to make sure it was completely parallel, then applied the one sided tape mentioned above and it has been fine since.

I haven't bothered to do the firmware update, so mine is still the previous version.
Damien VK3RX
KT6UK

Post by KT6UK »

Update

In my case I suspect the root cause is co-planar alignment between the connectors and PCB's.

That is to say if I insert the UT-121 module such that it is parallel with the mother PCB, as you expect it would need to be, I consistently get the stuck on tx problem.

However if I insert the module with the top of the UT-121 module about 1.5mm further away from the mother PCB than the bottom of the UT-121 is - then everything seems ok.

In an attempt to hold the UT-121 firmly in this position I made a little metal and plastic clamp which goes under the screw which in the center of the PCB and applies gentle pressure to the edge of the UT-121 which is closest to the screw.

The hope is that the clamp will keep the module in the correct place and work better than the double sided sticky tape which seems to cause more problems than anything else.

Time will tell.

Hope this helps others.

73 Tim