New Solomon Islands regs

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4WDM

New Solomon Islands regs

Post by VK4WDM »

According to news in "Daily Dx" the new Solomon Islands regs have made the following changes to AR operations:

40m has been reduced to 7.000-7.100 MHz.
No authorisation for 30m.
6m has been changed to 52-54 MHZ.
2m has been expanded to 144-148 MHz.
No UHF or microwave bands.

I guess a government can do what they like but it is disappointing to see them ignore current ITU policy. I wonder where their advice came from?

I was going to donate a 6m rig and antenna for the new H44 club station but there does not seem much point in doing in doing so if they only have 52-54 MHZ.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Re: New Solomon Islands regs

Post by VK4WDM »

Latest info on the logger says that the info I posted, which was seen on several sites, is incorrect and that H44 stations can continue to use 50MHZ.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Wayne
I met with both the Director and the Manager of TCSI on Friday and they have both confirmed after a lenghty discussion that 50 Mhz use is still permitted. Furthermore the Director has advised that TCSI is currently looking at how it can emulate the existing Australian licensing structure to better suit international requirements and hopefully put a stop to the ongoing critisism from VK of TCSI.

The Director was also quick to point out that if the TCSI wishes to allocate a reciprocal license to a visitor, which allows greater operating privliges than their home license, then that is their perogative.

Currently SI has only one class of license so irrespective of which class of license you hold in your home country you are issued a full SI amateur radio license. I expect this may change some time in the future, however the TCSI may require some assistance in implementing this change.

Ralph H44RK should be commended for his work in promoting AR to date - so much so that the Manager of TCSI will be attending a meeting this Sunday which Ralph has organised and at this meeting it is proposed to have a station on air - possibly including 6m.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

That is certainly good news, and a very good effort on Ralph's part as you say. It is always very difficult for these small island nations to get any legislation organised without help from outside. Hopefully we will see more operations from H44 & H40 especially locations where there are good paths on VHF and UHF to VK. As you know, Honiara is not ideal for that.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Wayne

One thing which did come out at Fridays meeting is that the TCSI is seriously considering not issuing H40 callsigns. Wilson (Director TCSI) suggested that the TCSI would prefer to move to the issuing of H44 callsigns only, which would cover the entire nation irrespective of where you operate in the country.

I have explained the reasoning behind the different prefix allocations and the confusion it may cause if the TCSI were to proceed in this direction, so hopefully things will remain as is.

On another note I caught up with Bernhard H44MS yesterday while walking the streets of Honiara - Bernhard has the Cushcraft 6m, 3 element beam up and directed to Australia - he is keen for his first VK contact on 6m.

And finally - listen out for us later today.
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

I've had notification from Phil G3SWH, who will be in Honiara with Jim G3RTE operating as H44KW in February, that they have obtained special permission to operate on 30m. This is the only band I haven't worked H44, so it will be good to tick the last box!
So, it appears that some discretion is being exercised by TCSI, at least for visiting operators.
Luke VK3HJ
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I have been in email contact with Sigi DK9FN/H40FN. He confirms that is licence only allows 52MHZ for 6m and he has been denied permission to operate on 30m because "10MHZ is used for inter-island communications in the Solomon Islands." The licence conditions are posted on his H40FM QRZ.com page.

So it seems there are different regs for H44 and H40. A nuisance if you want to work both parts of the country on 6 and 30m. :(

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

I see in my log I worked Sigi in Temotu on 30m in 2010.
And the only band I haven't worked Solomon I is 30m, but that should be remedied by H44KW in Feb '13.
So I guess one just has to wait for TCSI's change of mind?
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

I think the TCSI position has changed since Siggi's license may have been renewed.

After discussions with both Aaron and Wilson at the TCSI i am of the opinion that someone, possibly unknowingly, had provided the TCSI with incorrect and inconsistent region 3 frequency assignment information.

My H4 license was renewed only 3 weeks ago and it includes access to 30m as well 50-54Mhz operation at 1Kw.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Ho ho ho.

What is the real grid square is for H40FN?
RH29ug is obviously incorrect.
The operator himself must not know, because his QRZ profile puts him fair square in the coral sea!
(You can even go to the "detail" tab, and click "show map" - same result).
It's amazing how people fail to check their own information.

Google Maps do indicate the airstrip at RH29vg.
There is limited imagery for this region, and there isn't a lot of information to be found on Lata itself.
We can see a big village at RH39af though.

Posted in the interests of not wanting to blindly propagate dis-information.
Attachments
Umm, no.
Umm, no.
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

Hello Adam. this info may be as inaccurate as his listed grid, but here go's...... His qrz page says he is in the town of Lata. a non google mapping site says that Lata is here http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=-10.716667,1 ... %20Islands

which seems to be on the edge of RH29vg and RH29wg tho which one is right is guesswork 'cause the maps are just not detailed enough.

John