Reversing Novice power mod on FT101ZD

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK5PL
Forum Novice

Reversing Novice power mod on FT101ZD

Post by VK5PL »

G'Day all, I obtained my Novice call back in the mid 70s & bought an FT101ZD.
This was modified by a full call friend now silent key to operate on the required novice power output.
I had moved QTH a couple of times since & one location was unfriendly to antennas due to a power line across the backyard so I have not operated since about 1981.
Now in a better location & with interest again in amateur radio, and with the further benefit of being able to use more power with the current regulations, I would like to reinstate the Old FT101ZD back to its former glory.
I am unaware of what Tom did to the radio back then & wondered if anyone would be able to assist me.
My electronic knowledge is still only basic & have probably forgotten what I learned to pass the exam 30 odd years ago.
There does not appear to be a place in adelaide that could repair it, but thought another amateur might be able to help me tackle it, who might have done a similar mod.
David
VK5PL
VK5PO

Re: Reversing Novice power mod on FT101ZD

Post by VK5PO »

G'day David.

Email me at: vk5po@wia.org

Should be able to sort it out for you mate.

73, John
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi David

If you haven't already done so, you might also give some consideration to replacing the high voltage electrolytic capacitors. These tend to dry out over time.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3MH »

Hi

I am a FT101zd MK3 Collector but I have never heard of such a mod for the 30w limit ?
My HF Station, FT101zd MK3 + Digital VFO FV101dm and a FL2100b amp. My VHF
station is an FT101zd MK3 and the FTV650b (6m) and the FTV250 (2m) transverters
+ amps. I would have a look around for mods compare it with the older wiring etc.
It must make the drive lower to the final valves some how ?

Being remote from VK5 in ZL there is not much I can do

all the best Murray ZL3MH
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

To get 30 watts pep novice power level in my Kenwood 520S, i changed the screen grid resisitors and peaked the the current to half the normal rating that applied for 100 watts pep. [was it 30ma for 30 watts?]

Maybe a similar mod was done to the 101zd.

It was along time ago, and not sure/cant remember the resistor values i used.

The 101 zd was similar to the 520s in the final cage from memory/yes/no?

Maybe check the values in the modded rig to the factory screen grid resisitor values.
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Also replace all the 470k carbon bleeder resistors in the HT and screen supply circuits. They'll be open circuit or very high in value by now. It's also a good idea to disconnect the wire from the plate supply to the 11-pin accessory socket on the rear panel. You really don't want 900V DC lurking there.

Chas
VK3PY
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK5NQP wrote:G'Day all, I obtained my Novice call back in the mid 70s & bought an FT101ZD.
This was modified by a full call friend now silent key to operate on the required novice power output.
I had moved QTH a couple of times since & one location was unfriendly to antennas due to a power line across the backyard so I have not operated since about 1981.
Now in a better location & with interest again in amateur radio, and with the further benefit of being able to use more power with the current regulations, I would like to reinstate the Old FT101ZD back to its former glory.
I am unaware of what Tom did to the radio back then & wondered if anyone would be able to assist me.
My electronic knowledge is still only basic & have probably forgotten what I learned to pass the exam 30 odd years ago.
There does not appear to be a place in adelaide that could repair it, but thought another amateur might be able to help me tackle it, who might have done a similar mod.
Take a look here first

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10977
once you have initially run it up for a time on an auto transformer if you have access if possible , a radio like that may well fail if you don't bring the electrolytic caps up slowly , google the concept if unsure , once up to full voltage a cafeful check as to the methods mentioned in the link should solve your problem . If concerned then perhaps there is an Amateur near you able to assist ?
VK5PL
Forum Novice

Post by VK5PL »

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I was a bit concerned that it had been sitting in a box in the Garage all this time & the circuits might have deteriorated.
I had thought I had something written down either in the box or in the manual but could not find anything.
I will take john up on his offer & keep you all informed of how it turns out.

73 David
David
VK5PL