FT847 no UHF tx or rx help

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

FT847 no UHF tx or rx help

Post by VK4NWH »

I am wondering if any body knows of a good radio repairer in the brisbane area. What has happened is i was programing my handheld which was plugged into my pc and the handheld went into tx which was abot 2 feet from my Yeasy FT847. Earlier i was using 70cm and working fine but now no tx or rx on 70cm but all other bands are fine. So i am assuming the 5 watts from the handheld being close to the FT847 done something to the UHF side of the radio. I have no idea where to start looking so best to let someone with the knowledge investigate. I am hopeing that someone knows of a repairer in brisbane so i dont have to ship the rig to melbourne and wait months for its return. Cheers.
VK5KAA
Forum Novice

Re: FT847 no UHF tx or rx help

Post by VK5KAA »

try Grant RFrepairs. :thumbup:
Gordon.
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

I would be looking for something else, i doubt very much having an handheld nearby would cause damage.
Consult Mr google and check all the obvious stuff with a multimeter... I had a PA go unstable once and it took out a SMD device in the frond end of my 897 but managed to find it. Cant imagine the cost if I had used a repair shop... :shock:

Mark.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4NWH wrote:I am wondering if any body knows of a good radio repairer in the brisbane area. What has happened is i was programing my handheld which was plugged into my pc and the handheld went into tx which was abot 2 feet from my Yeasy FT847. Earlier i was using 70cm and working fine but now no tx or rx on 70cm but all other bands are fine. So i am assuming the 5 watts from the handheld being close to the FT847 done something to the UHF side of the radio. I have no idea where to start looking so best to let someone with the knowledge investigate. I am hopeing that someone knows of a repairer in brisbane so i dont have to ship the rig to melbourne and wait months for its return. Cheers.
You have a message , there are known issues with the 847 similar to the 100 series however I seem to remember the 2m/70cm pa is the same module so if it works on 2m has to be simple switching perhaps common to tx and rx , sorry I don't have a schematic handy but if the party takes it on you will be in good hands
B
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Wasnt too keen to put my fingers inside with all the smd in there. Trying to find the guy gordon mentioned but only found RF Solutions at Albany Creek. That the party your thinking of Baz?
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4NWH wrote:Wasnt too keen to put my fingers inside with all the smd in there. Trying to find the guy gordon mentioned but only found RF Solutions at Albany Creek. That the party your thinking of Baz?
No , yo know the bloke I think , check the message
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

RFREPAIRS <service@rfrepairs.com.au>

Here is Grant's email . he is an excellent tech very reliable and honest .

The 847 have individual PA stages for VHf and UHF . They use a small 5W driver module driving a transistor .
I had one last week to repair . . No UHF TX .the problem very common on power modules. One of the connecting wires had disconnected from the substrate.

Hope this is of some help.

Joe
VK7JG
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

Thanks heaps Joe. will email him and go from there.